Pre Medicine Program
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
Parkside's pre-med program provides you with educational opportunities from a more traditional allopathic medical philosophy (Pre Medicine, MD) or from an osteopathic or "whole person" approach (Pre Osteopathic, OD).
Medicine has been described as both an art and a science. The Pre-health programs at UW-Parkside reflect this dual perspective. With the assistance of advisors, the program is customized for your individual talents and intellectual curiosity. There are several major options to select from, some of the more popular being Applied Health Sciences, Biological Sciences and Chemistry.
Graduates are very well prepared as demonstrated by the high success rate of UW-Parkside graduates in admission to professional schools. This success is due in part to a well-developed program of advising, which includes course selection, admission test preparation, application assistance, and practice interviews.
Follow link for more information about the Center of Health Sciences and other Pre Health programs
Medical school prerequisites
Below is a list of common science and math prerequisite courses that are required by most medical school programs (MD and OD)
General Biology | BIOS 101 and 102 | 8 credits | 1 year
General Chemistry | CHEM 101 and 102 | 10 credits | 1 year
Organic Chemistry | CHEM 321, 322, and 323 |11 credits | 1 year
Physics | PHYS 105 and 106 |10 credits | 1 year
Biochemistry | BIOS 307 | 3 credits
Psychology | PSYC 101 | 3 credits | 1 semester
Sociology | SOCA 101 | 3 credits | 1 semester
Other classes you may want to consider taking as electives to help to prepare you for Medical School
Anatomy | BIOS 300 | 4 credits
Physiology | BIOS 341 | 3 credits
Microbiology | BIOS 303 | 4 credits
Neuroscience | BIOS 420 | 3 credits
Molecular Biology | BIOS 309 | 3 credits
partners in your future
Some of the ways we help while you pursue success in the Pre Medicine program (MD and OD)
- Assistance obtaining shadowing and internship experiences with local physicians and healthcare providers
- Help choosing the correct career pathway
- Experience to gain acceptance into Medical School
- Guidance in preparing for the Medical College Placement Test (MCAT) that is required to gain admissions into any Medical School in the US. (You will not be charged any money to receive this preparation, but it will cost you time and effort!)
Learning in Action
Rural and Urban Scholars in Community Health (RUSCH) program
Students within the Pre-Medical program at Parkside have the opportunity to apply for the RUSCH program in collaboration with the UW-Madison School of Medicine and Public Health.
This competitive application based two year program provides selected students with the opportunity to:
- Conduct research with clinical faculty at the Medical School at UW-Madison
- Gain community-based health-related experiences
- Have access and mentoring from both the Admissions staff at the Medical School at UW-Madison and specialized programming and mentoring at Parkside.
Please speak with your advisor for more information about this program.
Lower cost | exceptional quality
The University of Wisconsin-Parkside has UW quality with a 90% acceptance rate into medical school, yet is the least expensive in the system. This value will take you into medical school and beyond!